Manhattan Kansas Truck Accident Attorney
When you are driving in and around Manhattan, Kansas, it is vital to know the laws that are in place for truck drivers as Kansas has one of the highest rates of traffic accidents per capita in the country. Pottroff & Karlin is based in Manhattan, KS and deeply cares about the community we live in. If you or a loved one were injured in a Manhattan truck accident, contact us for a free consultation today.
Why it is Important to Understand the Rules of the Road: Safety
Even if you are not driving a truck in Manhattan, KS, it is crucial to know the rules of the road for safe and responsible driving. For Manhattan residents, in particular, it’s essential to know these laws because Manhattan has an above-average rate of truck accidents. Manhattan has a truck accident rate that is 13% higher than the national rate.
Truck accidents can be devastating because trucks are much heavier than cars. The structure and design of the average vehicle aren’t equipped to handle a collision with a large commercial truck. The collision typically causes more damage to the occupants in the smaller vehicle.
General Rules of the Road in Manhattan, KS
When driving through Manhattan, KS, it is important to remember that:
- While Kansas has no statewide prohibition on cellphone use while driving, Manhattan, KS, is an exception. Manhattan, KS prohibits texting while driving and all cell phone use must be hands-free within city limits.
- Studies of the area have shown that 23% of fatalities are caused by distracted driving.
- Manhattan, KS, requires all drivers to have their headlights on when windshield wipers are in use.
- State and federal laws require truck drivers to use extreme caution when there are weather conditions (snow/sleet/rain/fog) that affect visibility or traction.
- In Manhattan, KS, it is illegal for a vehicle that weighs over 10,000 pounds to exceed the speed limit by more than 7 miles per hour.
- In Manhattan, KS, it is unlawful for motor vehicles with solid rubber or cushion tires to drive at any time on any city street.
- The city also forbids pedestrians from crossing an intersection diagonally.
Truck accidents involving one car and one truck are more common than you may think. There are many rules that are in place to protect everyday commuters and pedestrians from negligent truck drivers. For example, Manhattan, KS, adopted a policy that bans semi-trucks from going through stop signs if a “no trucks” sign is posted.
Catastrophic Truck Accidents
Any semi-truck accident can come with lots of unprecedented challenges. However, the consequences of a trucking accident can often be catastrophic. Many trucking accidents result in fatal or serious injuries. Survivors of truck accidents often have to live with permanent disabilities affecting their quality of life. If you are involved in a truck accident, our truck accident attorneys can help you seek justice and financial compensation to help you cover your medical bills and other expenses while you work towards a full recovery.
Our Manhattan truck accident lawyers are dedicated to serving members of their local community and the surrounding region when they have been involved in a truck accident. Over the years we’ve achieved successful recoveries for our clients through understanding truck accident law and the rules of the road.
At Pottroff & Karlin, we have the resources and knowledge to help you obtain the compensation you deserve. An insurance adjuster will always lowball you into accepting a lower settlement amount. Don’t accept a settlement offer from any insurance company until you’ve had a chance to speak to a truck accident lawyer about your case. Our Manhattan, KS Truck Accident Attorneys offer free case evaluations to anyone who was injured in a truck accident.
Truck Accident Causes and Liability
Most truck crashes are caused by either distracted driving or driver fatigue. This is a result of placing a driver in a truck for long hours and can be a recipe for disaster. Other potential causes of a truck accident can be inadequate training, inadequate truck maintenance, defective equipment, or improperly secured loads. The consequences of a truck accident are amplified by their sheer size and weight. For example, it takes longer for a truck to be able to fully slow down and brake than commercial vehicles. That is why truck drivers are required to follow very specific federal safety regulations when they are operating a tractor-trailer.
How Can a Kansas Truck Accident Lawyer Help Me?
Here are just some ways Pottroff & Karlin can help you with your truck accident case.
- Investigation into the accident. We examine police reports, medical records and other documents related to your accident. We will also ensure that all evidence is preserved after a collision, such as the truck’s “black box” data. Our attorneys know where to look for evidence of negligence that can help your case.
- Make sure you get the care you need. Insurance companies may try to limit your doctor’s visits or claim you no longer require medical care for your injury. We can fight to make sure you get the medical care you need to recover as much as possible.
- Investigate trucking companies. In many truck accident cases, the trucking company’s negligence led to the crash. For example, the company may have required the driver to drive through inclement weather or while he/she is fatigued.
Wrongful Death Due to a Truck Accident
When someone dies as a consequence of the carelessness or malicious behavior of another person or organization, it is referred to as a “wrongful death.” Wrongful death is a major issue that may significantly affect the truck accident victims’ loved ones when it comes to truck accidents in Manhattan, Kansas. The relatives of the victim may be entitled to bring a lawsuit in order to be compensated for their loss when a wrongful death results from a truck accident. The family must demonstrate that the accident was brought on by the truck driver’s or trucking company’s negligence to establish a wrongful death.
What Can I Do if I am in a Truck Accident?
Truck accidents can leave behind devastating injuries and damages. If you or a loved one was injured in a truck accident due to another person’s negligence, there are a number of ways you can recover from the unexpected medical bills, pain, anguish, the cost of repairing the damage to your property, and lost wages from time away from work. Because of the devastating nature of truck accidents, federal law also requires trucking companies to carry a minimum insurance of $750,000.
Speak With a Truck Accident Attorney Today
After a collision, it is important to hire a qualified attorney to represent you against the truck and insurance company. The attorneys at Pottroff & Karlin are available to help you receive the justice you need to fully recover from a Manhattan, KS, truck accident. Contact our office today for a free consultation.