New Jersey Train Accident Lawyer
Experienced Train Accident Attorney Assisting Plaintiffs in New Jersey
New Jersey’s Transit system serves almost a million commuters on a daily basis. It is one of the United States’ biggest and busiest public transport networks. Tragically, sometimes the trains and buses experience accidents, injuring passengers, drivers, or pedestrians.
Accidents involving trains, while not as frequent as other transport collisions like bus accidents, are usually more catastrophic. They often cause serious death and bodily injury. The law firm of Pottroff & Karlin, LLC, has represented numerous victims of railroad accidents. If a New Jersey train accident has caused you to suffer injuries, we can help. Our knowledgeable lawyers will help preserve your rights and maximize your recovery for losses.
Common Types of Train Accidents
Similar to vehicle collisions, train accidents can occur in a variety of ways and because of various reasons. Here are some of the types of train accidents that can happen:
- Head-on Collisions: They occur when trains collide into one another while mistakenly using the same rail tracks. Such collisions often lead to numerous casualties and injured victims as a result of the extreme forces of two extremely heavy trains colliding.
- Buffer stop accidents: Buffer stops, otherwise known as bumpers are gadgets on the end of train tracks that help in stopping trains safely. However, a speed miscalculation by a train conductor can cause a crash through the buffers, taking the train off the tracks. The derailed train can continue to move, damaging anything or any person along its path
- Derailment: A range of variables can contribute to a train derailment, including broken or cracked rails, improper inspections and maintenance, or washouts. Rails in the outdoors are constantly exposed to weather elements, requiring consistent inspection and maintenance. When a railroad fails to properly inspect and maintain its tracks, they can become defective, leading to severe damage and a derailment.
- Mechanical Defects: Faulty designs or maintenance of bridges or tunnels by engineers and railroad personnel can result in disasters. Poor designs or those made too fast have caused numerous railroad accidents.
Types of Train Accident Injuries
A New Jersey train accident can lead to severe, disabling injuries, because of the colossal weight of trains. The extent of the injuries, however, depends on the nature of the train accident. The following are some of the common types of train accident injuries.
- Traumatic brain injury
- Broken bones
- Injuries to the neck and spine
- Significant soft tissue damage
Medical bills for the injuries can mount fast. Additionally, a victim might have to miss work because of the train accident injuries, leading to lost wages. A New Jersey train accident lawyer can assess the case and help you seek the compensation you need for your recovery.
Seek Legal Assistance Today
Getting injured or losing someone you love in a New Jersey train accident can be a traumatic experience. Pottroff & Karlin, LLC can help to protect your rights. We commit ourselves to provide upfront and honest legal advice. Whatever the circumstances of your case, our law firm will evaluate the facts and map out the most appropriate course of action. Call us today at 785-539-4656 to speak to a qualified train accident lawyer. You can also reach out by filling out the online contact form on our website.